The web is all about connecting with others. While widespread use of the web has been common for almost two decades now, keeping up with the breakneck pace of change in web technologies — and their implications for the way we communicate — requires both dedication and a passion for the medium. I built my first website in 1996, and have been working professionally on the web since 1999. As a web professional, my goal is to discover and implement the most efficient and effective methods to help you communicate with whomever you're trying to reach, from clients and colleagues to friends and family.
information architecture and content strategy.
No matter what your goals are for your presence on the web, well-organized and well-crafted content will be key to your success. Whether you're starting from scratch or revamping an existing site, I can assist you in making it easy for your users to find, engage with, and spread your content.
- "Mapping Memory: Web Designer as Information Cartographer" (A List Apart 266, August 26, 2008)
social media strategy, consulting, and coaching.
Social media — web technologies that allow users to create and share content with each other — can be valuable tools in communicating your message. But getting a return on the investment of time it takes to create an effective social media campaign requires strategic choices about how to best reach the audience you're seeking. Whether you are just dipping your toes into the social media waters or want to launch a sophisticated campaign, I can help.
- "Is a Niche Social Network Right for Your School?" Link: The Journal of Higher Education Web Professionals, July 2011.
- Panel member, "Tools & Techniques," #campuscom: Exploring Social Media at the University of Chicago, May 6, 2011.
- "Wrangling the Octopus: Managing Your New Media Ecosystem," eduWeb Conference, Chicago, July 26, 2010.
- "A Bird in the Hand: Using Twitter in Higher Education Communications," eduWeb Conference, Chicago, July 21, 2009.
- "Meet the (Social) Media," South Side Arts & Humanities Network Meet the Press event, March 18, 2009.
podcast recording, production, and distribution.
Podcasts — downloadable radio shows that listeners can hear on their computers or iPods — are a fantastic way of building a community around a subject about which you are passionate. From recording to distribution, I can advise you on best practices and am available to produce on a freelance basis.